Brigitte Kowanz: Interview
- How did you get the idea of working with light?
I started to work with light back in the early 1980’s through the engagement with media, photography, video and film. The following step (still in the 80’s) was to understand or use light as an autonomous artistic medium.
- What’s the best feedback you ever got?
Peter Weibel contributed an essay to my publication “Infinity and Beyond”, which was published on the occasion of my exhibition at the Aurstrian Pavillon at the Venice Biennale last year, in which he calls me “Botschafterin des Lichts”, Ambassador of Light.
- Why did you agree to come to tiny Hildesheim
I just think it is an interesting exhibition format to be honest.
- What do you understand from „public“? What does it mean to you working in „public“?
In Public Spaces you are confronted with different and much larger recipients. Public Spaces have their own regularities.
- How did you deal with light/seeing/… as an experience?
One cannot see light itself. Light only arises, when it is linked to matter. Making light itself visible is a key aspect of my work. Something I have followed for almost 30 years now is seeing light as an information carrier – in fact light is information for me.
- Describe your perfect working atmosphere
All kinds of big spaces and interesting situations.